Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week 7: Water Aerobics

This week I took to the pool for an hour long water aerobics class at Golds Gym.  I told the instructor that I'd never taken a class and she was incredibly helpful. She set me up with some heavy water weights and a noodle.  The weights are interesting because they don't weigh anything outside of the water.   They are just a big foam dumbell, but when they get in the water the bigger they are the more they want to float so you have to fight the resistance.  The noodle is the same way only you can use it to help you float as well.

We started out with a warm-up.  This included jumping jacks, cross country skiing, in place jogging, butt kicks, and high knees.  It does get difficult to moving through the water though.

We did "Stations" in this class.  We moved around the pool doing different exercises.  The instructor went through a whole circuit with me to make sure I had it right! We did jump-ups on the steps, lowered the weights (its backwards because of pushing them into the water is easier then lifting them out), Knee pushes with the noodle, cross country skiing across the pool (The hardest for me because the pool got to deep so I had to tread and try to cross country ski)  Push ups on the side of the pool.  ab work, and jumping jacks.  Then you do it all over again. A quick cool down and stretch and then I sat in the sauna.

A side note if you want to go to water aerobics, wear a one piece swim suit!  I wore my tankini and when I was doing the push-ups on the side of the wall... I totally mooned the pool!  This was a fun workout and I love the water!  It was a great way to get in a workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment