It's late and I've only watched about 30 minutes of a documentary called Food Inc. I'm perturbed,discussed, and emotional. Who thinks this is okay!?!? Where can I find food that has not been torchered, over processed, and poisoned? I feel like I eat pretty well and about a year ago I made the decision to stop eating meet and that was spured by my upbring of a vegetarian lifestyle and I read the book Skinny Bitch which was so horrifying that I never touched chicken, beef, or pork again. I have been eating fish but after this documentary I'm ready to let go of that as well. It's to much to think that we are so removed from the process of were our food comes from that we have been mislead into eating true and under poisonous food. Things are so bad that I really don't even know where to find food that I could really truly feel comfortable eating and that wouldn't break the bank to get. Even fruits and vegetables have been brought in and then riped with chemicals.
I'm so frustrated. I want to feel like I really am eating things that are good for me and fuel a healthy body but instead what I am confusing as healthy food is actually full of things that can make me sick, shorten my life, and flat out kill me. Kill me! What do we do?
You can stream Food Inc on Netflix. It is hard to watch and it is graphic as hell and the grossest thing of all....it's whats happening.
You might enjoy Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution on ABC on Friday nights. He is a British chef who got the British government to spend $2Billion on improving school lunches in the UK. This program is where he comes to America to try and do the same thing. The program is based in Huntington WV, which according to government stats has the worst death rate from obesity related illnesses. At first they were all "who the hell are you coming over here and telling us what to do", but he is gradually winning people over using some shock tactics - like showing them an enormous coffin and telling them how the market for them is growing.
ReplyDeleteI was looking at your list and see you have ultimate Frisbee and golf - if you run out of time you could combine those two and try frisbee golf. There is a course in Holladay. We played once - I was useless, but it was fun.
ReplyDeleteDUDE!! I've heard about this...I'm super nervous to watch it though...I've decided to grow a garden this year that way I know EXACTLY what has happened to the veggie/fruits I eat! ...you should think about it...I'm super excited!! Right now it's time for strawberries, brocolli and sweet peas maybe?? I don't remember...but yeah....just an idea....
ReplyDeleteI've checked out that show with Jamie Oliver. It was pretty crazy to see what kids (Including myself when I was in school) are eating. My sweet sweet mom made me lunch everyday but of course the pull to pizza was to strong and so I began to gain weight... Not fair to do that to kids.
ReplyDeleteI've done Frisbee golf before and I too was useless. lol It was embarassing but who knows! Maybe I will be come an over night sensation!
Jenny I totally want to grow a garden this year! I've been all pumped up to get going! I just ordered a book called square foot gardening. have you ever heard of it? It seems pretty cool but I wanted to read more into it. Where did you find out what is supposed to be planted when? I need to get in on that!
Um, I only know because the other Jennie and my mother in law told me what should be planted now. All other stuff should be planted in May. Except for if you grow herbs or whatever....then you just put them in your windowsill now and water them. I'm growing some Basil, Cilantro and Rosemary right now...HMMM...I LOVE Basil!!! :) I'm sure there's something online about what to plant when...sorry I can't be more help! Good luck and I'm gonna have to get that book...STAT!
ReplyDelete